Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Internal struggle

I believe we all have things in our past that have caused us not to be the person we want or could be today, which if we could deal with, and learn to let go, will make our lives better today.  Many things require professional help to overcome.  This blog is not to debate what should be, or how to do that.  Rather, I would suggest that those who do have symptoms of dyslexia are fighting a huge battle in their minds.  I know I have.  I don’t dare say I have solved it all yet, but I do know my ‘mind battles’ are not nearly as challenging as they have been.

My siblings got good grades in school, which seemed to me came easy to them. I was struggling hard every day, and always brought home poor grades.  They got college degrees, and good jobs.  I was happy to get an associate degree at a Technology college.  My wife has always had to work for us to make ends meet.  I have always felt like the ‘black sheep’ in my family. Yet I have a wonderful family, and I love them all dearly.  However in my mind, I was never as good as any of them.  How could I be, when they could read something and understand it, and I have no idea what I just read?  (That is wrong reasoning, but it was the way I felt and saw it.)

I will mention here, that recently, as I have been able to articulate my feelings, and share with my siblings the feelings I have had, they all commented that they never considered me a ‘black sheep.’  They pointed out traits they admire in me, and wished they had, of caring, sharing, and doing my best at whatever I did, things they looked up to me.  Can you imagine what a great feeling of support I got from them as I learned they looked up to me?  They knew things didn’t come easy to me, but they told me I wasn’t a quitter.  I think we all need more family time with our loved ones, with honest and caring conversation.

I had a huge inferiority complex that started when I was young, and kept growing all these years.  A huge amount of garbage had been placed in my mind that I wasn’t as good as the next person.  I had an extremely hard time reading and comprehending what I read.  Why try competing, when I knew I wouldn’t win? Spelling bees?  Please, can I not even join them?!  Perhaps the biggest question I ask now is ‘How and why, did I allow this garbage in my mind?’ and ‘How can I help others with dyslexia now to realize, if they don’t already, that they have been fed a lot of garbage in their lifetime they need to get rid of?’  Getting rid of it is not easy, but is so essential to move on in life.

The best visual I can give here is this.  Picture your home, and all that goes on in there.  Now think of all the garbage that collects there in a week.  Now visualize the garbage man doesn’t come to pick up your garbage….for 45 years.  How are you operating? I was around 8 when I noticed I was having problems learning, and it took me over 45 years to finally do something about it.  When you do get around to getting the garbage picked up, it won’t be done in one trip to the dump.  So it was with my mind.  One class, one attempt did not get rid of all that garbage that needed to get thrown out.  I believe the longer a person who have these feelings of inadequacies and hold them in, the longer it will take to clean up the mess.  I also believe that everyone should know that just as garbage collects every day, so we must constantly be throwing it out of our minds.

I didn’t know I had this ‘gift’ at the time when a brother suggested to me that I would be a good piano tuner.  That thought never entered into my mind.  A few years after he suggested that, an opportunity came up for me to learn that trade, and I thought why not?  This brother was willing to loan me the money so I could learn the trade.  There is a skill here, and many hours of learning and practicing occurred, as in any vocation one chooses.  However, of all the strings on a piano, I only need to tune 12 of them to a meter, so I know they are right on pitch.  All of the others strings, I tune to those twelve.  I can tell instantly when they are in tune.  I don’t need a meter after those 12 strings are on, thus I can tune a piano to itself, and not to a machine.  It is as clear in my ears when I hear it on pitch, as the day is different from night.  I had mastered something, but the low self-esteem was still there.

Now about 20 years later, Cindy was asking questions that weren’t easy to answer.  The quote I mentioned a few postings earlier about everyone being a genius, I found on Cindy’s wall in her office.  Albert Einstein was definitely different than most people in his time, but what great discoveries he made.  It was his ability to see, or visualize,  and hear things that others didn’t see and hear that have contributed so much to all the items we enjoy today.  And how many more things are being invented, almost on a daily bases now?  Cindy told me that she believes that she gets to work with all the ‘Einstein’s’ of today.

WOW!  Did she really think I was smart? Me, an ‘Einstein’? Who put this ‘stupid’ label on me, and why have I allowed it to stay with me for so long?  A seed was planted in very fertile soil, but as the soil was so fertile, there were thousands of weeds to get rid of.  This does not happen overnight.  It takes time, and there are two parts here that have to work together.  The belief in yourself, and getting rid of the incorrect picture one has of him or herself.  The seed won’t grow to its full potential if it is blocked with weeds, or doesn’t get nourished. 

I remembered a statement Cindy posed to me one day.  She said ‘Stuart, I think you are afraid of success.’  Who in the world would be afraid of that, was my first thought.  Then I did some thinking.  We all have our comfort zone.  Mine was extremely small.  So small, that I could have walked out of it if I walked too fast.  Successful people are those who always are up to a challenge, who stretch themselves, who are never afraid to step out of their comfort zone. 

Don’t you just hate it when someone nails something on the head about you that you need to improve on with such accuracy!  Now keep in mind, Cindy had earned my trust by this time, and I knew she cared about me, and wanted me to succeed.  It was only after this trust was formed that she posed that statement to me.


Next blog: The dreadful Koosh   

No comments:

Post a Comment