Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A very supportive wife

I will say here that when I married, I married up in a huge way.  I believe my wife is a living Saint, and to put up with me on top of it all, she should be doubled Sainted.  She sees the good in everyone, and always has a smile on her face.  She laughs often, even at my jokes.  She is caring, and will do all that she can to help her family and those around her.  I can say she has no guile in her at all!

When we married, we committed to be faithful and loyal to each other, through thick and thin, through all challenges that would come our way.  We have honored those vows, and can almost finish the sentence of the other person.  We have become one in so many ways.  I didn’t say it was always easy, but it sure has been worth it.  Believe it or not, she tells me she wonders why I married her, while I am wondering why she married me!  I love her with all my heart, and she me.  Trust me, the making of a good marriage is worth another blog, but that is not what this is about.  However, you need to know that I have always had the support of my wife all this time.

How does one go about telling someone you love of your own weakness?  From our first date to our wedding day was only six months.  While many would argue you don’t know the other person in that short of time, I will counter with, a person who doesn’t want you to know something will never tell you, no matter how long you know that person.
 
I wanted to get more education when we were first married.  I am sure we could have found a way to get the funds to do it.  What prevented me was my past history in school.  How could I get the study time in while working, and now raising a family?  Reading was very unbearable back then.  While my wife would encourage me to get more education, slowly, over time, she understood both my concerns, and limitations, as I was able to tell her.  Yet she still loved me, and supported me in my place in the family.  She never demanded to know anything, but as I was able to build up courage, she listened….and loved me.

Our goal was to never send our children to day care, but one of us would be home with the children.  I can say we were successful in this.  However, as you could figure out, this meant that we would be working odd hours, and I would be working two jobs or more.  We were able to take care of our needs most of the time.  We did receive help from time to time from family, those close to us who knew our situations, and occasionally, anonymously, especially at Christmas time.
 
Vacation time each year would be a trip to grandparents homes for a week.  As the children got older, we ventured out and roughed it camping one year.  We never had funds to take our family to any amusement parks, or to see any historical sites.  Funds just were not in the budget for such things, yet my wife supported me, and never complained.

Through a neighbor, I found a job with a national company, working in their credit card department.  I started in collections, then moved into other departments in that company.  As the mother company was in the same building, and their busy time was different than ours, I had a chance to go over there and work in their customer service department.  I proved myself valuable there, and I was hired on there, shortly before they sold off the credit card division.
 
I felt proud of myself, working myself up, with the education I had.  I jumped at opportunities that came to me, and when the company offered to pay for those who wanted to take the series 7 exam in the financial world, I jumped at it.  Little did I know what I was getting into. They paid for the expenses, I did all the study on my own time.

I got a 3 ring binder that was 3 inches thick to study.  Over 500 pages with words on both sides!  They gave us an outline to study, and practice exams to take to help us.  From around February through October of that year, I study at least 2, if not more, many times 4 or more hours, 6 days a week.  I calculated I had answered over 3,500 practice questions on numerous exams.  I shut the door to the bedroom, with a note on it ‘do not disturb.  Taking exam’ and my children knew not to come in, as the exams were timed exams.  We went to a cabin that year for a family vacation, and I stayed in the cabin that week, studying.

The exam was 130 questions, and you had about 3 ½ hours to take it.  Then you had to take a short break, and then get to take another exam, same number of questions, and time.  You had no idea how you did on the first one, and if your mind wasn’t fried after the first exam, it was by the second.  I remembered how drained I was, how numbed I was, and almost not caring what the score was, I just needed this exam to be over with! I pushed the button, which they say once pressed, you can’t go back…no changing answers now, and waiting for what seemed to be an eternity, and finally my score showed up.  I had passed.  The first time I had taken it, I had passed! I can’t explain the feeling I had, nor the weight that was lifted off my shoulders at that moment! I undertook a huge challenge, and I passed.

I took the series 63 exam two months later, and passed that one as well the first time.  Again, what a great feeling I had.  Confidence was coming to me in a way I haven’t had before.

Time passed, and openings came up, and I started using my licenses in other departments of that company.  I was now reviewing a sampling of emails that were sent or received by brokers and their assistants.  I was on the team that was selected to start this process for the company.  We grew slowly, and started covering more of the nation as we grew, and I was happy.  For the most part.

Did you catch that part what I was doing?  READING emails.  I was busy the entire day to do my share of the emails.  All day.  I started early.  I got there before the boss.  I worked through my lunch more days than I can count.  Many times, I ate lunch at my desk.  On rare occasions, I would take a 15 min. lunch to get away from my desk.  My only breaks during the day was down the hall to the restroom, and then back to the grind.  I was busy, reading.  Yet others were bored, and would finish early, and talk a lot.  I didn’t mind that, just keep it down so I would not be disturbed.  Yet I got a pay raise with this new position I had, and was on salary, and had earned 5 weeks of vacation!  I was busy, and stressed, but got paid, and had time off.

Things were going fine for me, but I could tell we were going to lose people, as they were bored with their jobs. I couldn’t picture that at all.  Then a meeting was called, and the news caused a pit to come to my stomach.  The job we were doing was going to be outsourced, but not to worry.  Another job was coming in, and we would all still have jobs.  However, we needed the series 8, 9 and 65 licenses to do this job.  We would have time to study at work, and they would pay all expenses.  We had to sign forms that if we didn’t get those licenses, we would be let go, with no severance pay, etc.  It was not a good day for me.

Over 6 months later, my supervisor had to walk me out of the building, as I couldn’t pass those exams,  The company was downsizing, and as I had been there almost 15 years, the department I came from did not want to pay my salary for what I would be doing there.  My boss was sad to see me go, but his hands were tied.  I will say here, that he was a caring boss, and did all he could do to keep me, but that was not to happen.


All because of my dyslexia.

Next blog: A feel for how one with dyslexia reads

No comments:

Post a Comment