Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Gift of Dyslexia

I vowed when I was laid off, that I would not watch TV during the day, as it is a huge waste of time.  I also knew that it was important to improve myself as much as possible.  Through employment agencies, and community resources, I learned more about the computer, how to write a better resume’, how to interview, and on and on.  However, interviews were few and far apart, and when they saw me, they knew I was older, if they didn't figured it out from my resume’.  When you work for one company for almost 15 years, and the one before it for 7 years, to make me sound not as old, I would say ‘over 10 years….’  Perhaps I just should have said over 5 years of experience here, and over 5 years there.

During this time, I had lots of time on my hands, and had to use it wisely.  So I plucked away at some family history/genealogy work on a line that we had come to a brick wall.  At this point of life, I was all too eager to learn so as to improve my marketability for employment.  I learned so much while doing this hobby, and found some documents to help on this line, but still no job.  (Please note, the desire had to come from me, not someone else for me, and I had to make the change, not someone else.)

Then one day, as I was at an employment center closer to my home than the first one I went to, I explained all that I had done at the other place, and they were puzzled as to how they could help me.  I timidly mentioned that part of the challenge I have was dyslexia.  I am not sure what I had said, but she went to someone, and a few moments came back and I was in the office of the manager there, talking to him.  He had just recently come across a book called ‘The Gift of Dyslexia’, and had a family member read it, and said that it changed that person life around.  I was wondering to myself, 'Does he know what he is saying to me?  Read a book?'

He encouraged me to check it out at the local library and read it.  Was it out of obedience that I went to the library to check it out?  Or desperation?  Or was it that I was ready to strangle the person who thought this dyslexia was a gift!!

I went to the library, and tried to use the computer to check it out, but I couldn’t find the book.  Surely, this must be a user error, as I am sure the library has this book, so I went to the desk to get help.  They typed in the title, and nothing came up. I knew I had the title right, as I saw the book in his office! So they did some more searching, and there was none in the library system.  I learned something that day.  Libraries check out books from other library systems, and they said they could order it in, and I said OK, and asked how long, thinking it would be about 10 days.  Oh, we should have it here in about 3 to 4 weeks!

That title intrigued me so much, it wouldn’t leave my mind.  How could anyone think this is a gift?  It has felt like a rope around my neck my entire life, and lost employment because of this!  Then the thought came to me, perhaps I could find this book online, and get it here faster.  Sure enough, I found it online, and the cost wasn't that much. I had earned enough reward points on a credit card, that there was no cost out of pocket.  What surprised me, was that it came in the mail the very next day!  I hadn’t put any rush shipment on it.  I thought I would have it in 3 or 4 days, but there it was in my hands the next day.

Now I am ready to find out why this author thinks this way. I have had this all my life, and I had not found one way it has been a gift for me.  What is this person thinking?

 The book is written by Ronald D. Davis.  As I was reading his accomplishment working with dyslexia people, and how he came to discover a way to help people with this, I found out that he too, has dyslexia.  He had the same struggles and challenges I have had, and bit by bit, he discovered ways to conquer and overcome challenges.  The first part had some medical terms that I did not get involved in, but the next part, I was glued to the book.  I could relate to him!  He had the same challenges I had, the same frustrations!  He was blessed with the ability to figure out how to focus, or ‘orientate’ oneself while reading.  I was at the point ready to do anything to help me out.  However, I was skeptical at some of his teaching methods, as described at the end of his book.  It seemed too easy, and in my mind very unlikely to work.  Yet he nailed my feelings and frustrations to a T in his book, and I knew he knew how it felt to have this challenge.

He mentioned the Davis Dyslexia Association in his book, and programs that can help in other areas as well, that are out there that one can search the web sites for.  So I started searching.  Surely, in the state of Utah, there should be a handful of them, that I can find one close by, and talk to them and get some more information.  I was wrong.  There was only one for the entire state!  And I had to travel to another county to see her if I wanted to do this.  The cost?  Well, it’s not cheap.  But then again, it is a one on one class for one week.  It would require a huge financial commitment on our part.  Could something so simple really work?

Next post: My mentor


Note:  I have not met the author.  I have no financial gain to be had here.  This is simply what I have done.  The cost of the book is very reasonable, if you can’t find it in your local library. I highly recommend this book.  As I had this book read in less than one week after I got it, that should tell you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment