Saturday, May 3, 2014

Motivation part 3

Urge is the instinct to seek pleasure or avoid pain.  (People will work harder to avoid pain, than to seek pleasure.)  There isn’t much more I can add to this, except wonder why we don’t have a stronger urge to enjoy pleasure.  How often do we do something at work at the last moment, so we won’t get in trouble, or lose our job, instead of getting it done first thing in the day, so we can enjoy rest of the day?  I know some people are thinking that if they get it done early, they will be given another unpleasant task to do. That could be true, but have we considered that this may be the way to the promotion we are looking for?  When a promotion comes up, or people have to be laid off, what do you think your employer is thinking?  Who has that urge to work hard for their employer?  I would hope we enjoy the job(s) that we have to some extent.

Next concept: There are two forms of energy, potential and kinetic energy.  It is the kinetic energy we are interested in, the actual movement.  I believe each of us is filled with unlimited potential energy.  We have great potential to do anything we desire.  However, unless we do a consequence (self, making change happen) we don’t have that kinetic energy.  Unless we do something about it, the potential remains inside us, and never gets out.  Energy is converted into force at point of contact, the point of doing something…anything!.

Energy is the potential to influence or change (consequence) something.  The image I got in my mind when I first heard this was a huge electrical plant.  I could imagine seeing all this electricity in this plant, and its potential, and changes it could make is unlimited.  However, as long as it is in that plant, that is all it is, potential.

Force is the application of that energy.  To continue with this illustration, the electricity has gone through wires, and is at the outlets in my home.  I plug my computer into the outlet, and that energy is forcing my computer to come on so I can use it.

Change (consequence) happens at point of contact.  Whereas I had a dark screen before, it has changed, as the electricity goes through the computer.  I can now write a posting, research something, or hundreds of other things on my computer.

Want is an urge to exist with something (or not with something, i.e. lose weight) with the change that we are trying to motivate.  How deep or internal, is our want?  We all have wants, but the urge to live with or without something is not strong enough for us to make a consequence (again, self, making change happen).  Seeing yourself as you want to become, is all internal.  If that want is consistent, clear, and seen in our mind, we then develop the urge to exist with or without it.  My mentor’s comment that she thought I was afraid of success, put a thought in my mind, caused it to grow, causing me to see myself differently, developing a want in me, which in turn, is developing a need to exist with success.

Perhaps the most important part of this motivation series is, ‘Can you see your want?’ ‘ Do you see yourself as the person you want to become, having those qualities?’  How clear is this picture in your mind?  How detailed is it?  How vivid is it?  As resistance will come, as well as discouragement, and people telling you that you can’t do this or that, or change, do you have that picture firmly in your mind?  Is this picture the last thing you see in your mind as you drift off to sleep at night, and the first thing you see when you wake up in the morning?  Do you see the potential in yourself?  This is by far, one of the biggest step for me, as I have been making changes (consequences).  We can all see clearly where we are now.  However, I can see where I want and need to go.  I can see I am not there, but more importantly, I can see the changes (consequences) I have made, and I am not that person I was a year ago, or even a week ago.


I will talk about need next time.  Watch out, you may be in for a surprise, as I was.

Next post: Motivation, part 4



No comments:

Post a Comment