Monday, May 19, 2014

Ramblings

I am not sure what to write for this post.  Perhaps this was evident to some who notice my last post did not have a subject for this post.

Perhaps this will be my last post.  Perhaps I will continue to post as ideas, comments, or suggestions come to me, but not on a regular basis as I have tried in the past.  I will never claim to be a writer, though I have received a few comments that my posts are getting better and better.  And I do believe I have what they call ‘writer’s cramp’, where no ideas are coming to me.  But that doesn’t make me a writer.

I have had many ideas at once, and wrote them down in different sections.  I read, and re read them many times before I posted them, and couldn’t wait to post them.  Now the time comes by fast, and instead of posting twice a week, am now at weekly.  I am glad I am not under contract to write on a regular basis, as that would cause undue stress in my life.  Yet I still feel a need to reach out and try to help others with dyslexia.  Especially those who are in the work force now.

My following is indeed very small at this time.  I don’t know if I have helped anyone in any way.  However, I don’t feel I have accomplished what I need to on this blog, hence there will be more postings, but I can’t say how often going forward at this time.

I will say for today’s post, that those who have the gift of dyslexia, you can rely on their memory for something that happened to them that they did over and over.  I remember as if it happened yesterday, the home I lived in before I was 8 years old.  I remember the ‘fort’ we had outside that my dad made, the huge Mulberry tree in the center of our back yard that gave us shade from the blazing heat in Phoenix.  The swing set that I played on many times.  Or the storage unit under the carport, which was always locked between Thanksgiving time and Christmas for some reason.  I even remember following my dad’s example of varnishing that door shortly after he varnished it with the varnish he didn’t put away, and was drying. 

You see, we may be considered as having a learning handicap, but once we learn something, it doesn’t leave us.  I have had people question me in the past about some things, and because of things that have happened to me, I have not stood my ground.  Now I know this is a gift, and it comes naturally to a few of us. 

Yet there are those who will argue that if we can’t remember why we went into another room for, that we don’t have this ability.  The difference is, if one who has dyslexia does something over and over, it becomes a part of them, and they will not forget the situation, nor the details. 

I remember my parents going to our new home to paint each room before we moved into the house.  I was so excited to be in a new home, and those days they were gone seemed like they lasted forever!  I even remember that the new house had a thing called a dishwasher!  I also remember my parents telling us if we didn’t do our dish jobs well at the old house, we would have to wash the dishes by hand at the new house, even though we had a dishwasher there.  (My parents are very smart and wise, and knew how to use things properly.)  Now I am dating myself here, but I can tell you I remember the black and white TV we had in that first house I lived in.  You had to turn it on, and wait for the tubes to warm up, and even having to call a TV repair man if any tubes went out! 


Yes, my mind is full of many fond and happy growing up memories.  They serve me great now, and I trust even more, when my parents are no longer living here on earth.  Instead of looking back on the challenges I have had in life, I can choose to use my gift, and remember all the good thing in the past with accuracy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment